We've moved!
Host4Post has shifted over to an SSD VPS, to speed up your site. If you're seeing this message, then you're seeing the new server on any domain that is pointed to our nameservers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for a website name.
Dan Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I wasn't planning on making this into a thread, but it actually became a slight problem. My friend and I are having trouble coming up with a good name for a site we're going to build.

My friend Jimmy and I are planning on building a social networking website for the college we attend. We know it's definitely not going to become popular or anything, but we figured it'd be fun to get everyone on campus to join it. However, we're stuck on what to name it. I suggested we name it Jimmydandy (my favorite dessert at Friendly's) since it incorporates both of our names, but then Jimmy thought of a genius name: Batman Yourself.

I love it. I'm so tempted to actually buy batmanyourself.com, but there's just one problem. In the event that it does score big, am I going to have problems with DC comics? Because it's not like I'm referencing the super hero Batman anywhere in the site, it just happens to be the name of it.

I'm stuck on what I should do. Is there some loophole in the US law that allows me to get away with using Batman Yourself as my website name? >_>

You can also suggest other names if you want.
07-03-2012 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David B Offline
Registered

Why not name it Capitis (pronounced ca-pi-tis)? And no, do not use BatmanYourself. That will lead to legal issues.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 12:17 PM by David B.)
07-03-2012 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaipai Offline
Registered

I'll tell you right now you shouldn't really discuss names on a forum like this. Especially when it comes to we will call it boomdabing.com, cause what if I thought it was a great name too, I could easily buy it before ya. Wink Just a notice...

For me names need to be very sleek and web 2.0 ish. Mac style of a name. Catchy but also goes with the website well. So maybe tell us about what your website will be...?
07-04-2012 01:48 PM
Geek Cohen Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member

(07-04-2012 01:48 PM)Jaipai Wrote:  I'll tell you right now you shouldn't really discuss names on a forum like this. Especially when it comes to we will call it boomdabing.com, cause what if I thought it was a great name too, I could easily buy it before ya. Wink Just a notice...

On a community like this, a lot don't have enough money for a domain..... so he shouldn't be worried.
07-04-2012 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaipai Offline
Registered

(07-04-2012 02:20 PM)Geek Cohen Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 01:48 PM)Jaipai Wrote:  I'll tell you right now you shouldn't really discuss names on a forum like this. Especially when it comes to we will call it boomdabing.com, cause what if I thought it was a great name too, I could easily buy it before ya. Wink Just a notice...

On a community like this, a lot don't have enough money for a domain..... so he shouldn't be worried.

Or a credit card, or access to their parents credit card... Rolleyes
07-04-2012 03:29 PM
David B Offline
Registered

My name suggestion is already taken -- by me! But I am selling it, so he can buy it from me. If he goes with Capitis, he can have it.
07-05-2012 05:39 AM
Dan Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member

For me names need to be very sleek and web 2.0 ish. Mac style of a name. Catchy but also goes with the website well. So maybe tell us about what your website will be...?

Haha, excellent point. Although this site is more of a family than a community, therefore we kind of have that bro code. You know, don't date each other's girlfriends, and most importantly, don't buy each other's domain names.

Our site would just be Facebook for all students who attend my college. Nothing fancy, just something fun for my friends.

(07-05-2012 05:39 AM)David B Wrote:  My name suggestion is already taken -- by me! But I am selling it, so he can buy it from me. If he goes with Capitis, he can have it.

Thanks, but I can say without doubt that Capitis is not on heavy demand.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 05:40 PM by Dan.)
07-16-2012 05:39 PM
Ben Cousins Offline
Administrators

Benevolent Dictator
Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

(07-16-2012 05:39 PM)Dan Wrote:  

Haha, excellent point. Although this site is more of a family than a community, therefore we kind of have that bro code. You know, don't date each other's girlfriends, and most importantly, don't buy each other's domain names.

That's good... I found myself laughing at that.

I'm Ben; your bright, shiny, benevolent dictator.

My PM inbox is not for support tickets. Please create one in the correct forum.

Other projects include: Asperger's Network
07-16-2012 05:43 PM
David B Offline
Registered

(07-16-2012 05:39 PM)Dan Wrote:  ...You know, don't date each other's girlfriends, and most importantly, don't buy each other's domain names...

Someone has their priorities in order! (Your girlfriend will be so mad when I tell her what you said! LOL just kidding.)
07-18-2012 09:28 AM
APDClan Offline
Registered

URL's should be short and very easy to remember so for example you want to have a website for a pet shop in the north west it would be:
PetShopNW.com/net/co.uk/tk.....

Instead of

Theownerisbobwholivesjustdowntheroadfromthepetshop.com

Smile hope that helps
08-18-2012 09:25 PM
wschulz Offline
Registered

[quote name='Geek Cohen' timestamp='1341375646' post='48392']
[/quote]

Haha - good point! Big Grin A lot of people are probably here because they can't afford hosting and would rather "work" for it. I don't think domains are really that much though. Mine is only $7 a year (.org).
12-22-2012 01:34 PM