We've moved!
Host4Post has shifted over to an SSD VPS, to speed up your site. If you're seeing this message, then you're seeing the new server on any domain that is pointed to our nameservers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Machines
Internet Advantage Offline
Registered

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Simple Machines

Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but I am new.

Anyway, I am looking into creating a forum community and I am wondering how vBulletin compares to Simple Machines Forum? Obviously SMF is open-source and free, which is a big plus. It seems to have most of the same features as vBulletin, but it is hard to tell because I don't actually own a SMF.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
04-18-2012 01:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Geek Cohen Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Simple Machines

Your best competitor against vBulletin would be MyBB. I highly recommend MyBB. Host 4 Post runs it and it is great!

SMF is as popular and as good as MyBB in my opinion. I would recommend checking out MyBB and seeing how you find that.
04-18-2012 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aashik Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

Hi, I don't understand why free scripts are compared with paid stuff.
But, if it's a choice among smf and Mybb, i would always suggest Mybb. Its light in resources (That's what people say, I don't know much about this "resources" stuff, I'm suggesting you based on my experience in previous forums as a member). It works faster, it looks better and also, website management is easier in Mybb ( what i felt when i tested both on local host) .
04-26-2012 09:27 PM
Firestar Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Simple Machines

SMF isn't actually under an open source license if I'm remembering correct.

I haven't used SMF much but I prefer MyBB from the little I have.
04-26-2012 11:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atomic Blaze Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

(04-26-2012 11:27 PM)Firestar Wrote:  SMF isn't actually under an open source license if I'm remembering correct.

Simple Machines actually released 2.0 under a BSD Open-Source License after undergoing a few internal changes, going from an LLC to an NPO, meaning that they could release 2.0 (and subsequent releases) under a new license, allowing people to actually release the changes they make to the public and make a "fork" from SMF.

Simple Machines Wrote:Copyright © 2011 Simple Machines. All rights reserved.

Developed by: Simple Machines Forum Project
Simple Machines
http://www.simplemachines.org

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the names of Simple Machines Forum, Simple Machines, nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this Software without specific prior written permission.
04-27-2012 08:36 AM
Firestar Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Simple Machines

(04-27-2012 08:36 AM)Atomic Blaze Wrote:  
(04-26-2012 11:27 PM)Firestar Wrote:  SMF isn't actually under an open source license if I'm remembering correct.

Simple Machines actually released 2.0 under a BSD Open-Source License after undergoing a few internal changes, going from an LLC to an NPO, meaning that they could release 2.0 (and subsequent releases) under a new license, allowing people to actually release the changes they make to the public and make a "fork" from SMF.

Simple Machines Wrote:Copyright © 2011 Simple Machines. All rights reserved.

Developed by: Simple Machines Forum Project
Simple Machines
http://www.simplemachines.org

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the names of Simple Machines Forum, Simple Machines, nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this Software without specific prior written permission.

Ah, I hadn't checked for awhile so I must have been thinking of before they changed. Glad to see they finally switched.
04-27-2012 08:38 AM
jakubczachor Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

So much crap, hard to use, Your better stuck with mybb. Its ACP is alot cleaner with more features.
04-28-2012 05:26 AM
Zukdeen Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

Exactly.
The Admin CP of SMF is way too... complex, and hard to use. However, MyBB is easier to use even in that.
04-30-2012 08:10 AM
xxxTestxxx Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

I did not even notice! Is this forum a MyBB Forum?

I have never heard of the, "Simple Machines Forum Software." How long has it existed?
05-01-2012 10:22 AM
darkly Offline

Account not Activated
Simple Machines

I used SMF once and it's Admin CP and is so hard to use and the it is also very hard to manage too although they have some nice themes available for download. Tongue
05-01-2012 02:26 PM
Aashik Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

(05-01-2012 10:22 AM)xxxTestxxx Wrote:  I did not even notice! Is this forum a MyBB Forum?

I have never heard of the, "Simple Machines Forum Software." How long has it existed?

Seriously?
This forum also has the mybb copyright in footer.

SMF dates back to 2007 / 2008 I guess.
05-01-2012 02:50 PM
Binil Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Simple Machines

SMF dates back - as back as 2003. According to wikipedia - SMF 1.0 Beta 1a was released on 30 September 2003..
05-19-2012 05:47 AM
tekkman Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

MyBB has a larger community with great support, vBulletin is very pricey if your a freeloader or a low budget web dev.
05-20-2012 03:50 PM
Ben Cousins Offline
Administrators

Benevolent Dictator
Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Simple Machines

(05-20-2012 03:50 PM)tekkman Wrote:  MyBB has a larger community with great support, vBulletin is very pricey if your a freeloader or a low budget web dev.

This I agree with fully, The support team are great

Why use vBulletin? IP.Board has hosted communities for $10+ a month. Thats what I use

I'm Ben; your bright, shiny, benevolent dictator.

My PM inbox is not for support tickets. Please create one in the correct forum.

Other projects include: Asperger's Network
05-20-2012 04:10 PM
Atomic Blaze Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

SMF is the continuation of YABB, a CGI based forum system, the PHP port (YABB SE) eventually became SMF, so in some ways SMF is YABB. SE dates back to Nov 2001 and YaBB itself released on July 4, 2000.

One of the things MyBB has over SF is the hook system and in some cases that makes MyBB better than SMF.
05-21-2012 10:30 AM
Dan Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Simple Machines

SMF is probably the most secure free forum software available, but it's also the ugliest-looking one. I don't know, it always just look horrid visually and that's why I never used it.
06-14-2012 04:36 PM
wschulz Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

[quote name='Dan' timestamp='1339655800' post='47221']
SMF is probably the most secure free forum software available, but it's also the ugliest-looking one. I don't know, it always just look horrid visually and that's why I never used it.
[/quote]

This poses an interesting dilemma: would you rather have a forum that is essentially ugly, or a less secure one? I think I would have to go with the less secure one because that would help to attract visitors. Besides, if the proper precautions are taken, the secure for MyBB can probably be heightened a little, right?
10-25-2012 07:38 AM
rogilvie2012 Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

Simple Machines was a topic that i did in a subject called Engineering Science. This covers the mechanical properties of pulleys, winches, levers etc involving the calculation of mechanical advantage, velocity ratio and efficiency.

Just went down the 70's memory lane.SMF in software terms or Simple Machines Forum is one of the oldest BB applications
11-09-2012 01:50 PM
wschulz Offline
Registered

Simple Machines

[quote name='rogilvie2012' timestamp='1352433048' post='49903']
Simple Machines was a topic that i did in a subject called Engineering Science. This covers the mechanical properties of pulleys, winches, levers etc involving the calculation of mechanical advantage, velocity ratio and efficiency.

Just went down the 70's memory lane.

SMF in software terms or Simple Machines Forum is one of the oldest BB applications
[/quote]

ROFL!

And yes, I would agree with you that SMF is rather old, which can be good and bad...
11-24-2012 04:07 AM