We've moved!
Host4Post has shifted over to an SSD VPS, to speed up your site. If you're seeing this message, then you're seeing the new server on any domain that is pointed to our nameservers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addon or Parked domains?
SlyCooperFan1 Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Addon or Parked domains?

So I'm trying to set up a domain completely separate from my subdomain on my hosting plan. Like this:

Subdomain: blahblahblah.h4p.co
Additional domain: website.co.cc

I'm trying to make it so that, when someone goes to website.co.cc, they go to a subfolder within public_html (public_html/website). Would you use an addon domain for this purpose, and how?
12-23-2011 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Geek Cohen Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Addon or Parked domains?

You would add it as an add-on domain. Ensure that the domain is pointing to the Host 4 Post Hosting Server (Pixie) and then via cPanel go into the Add-on Domain option and follow the process.
12-24-2011 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GameStory Offline
Registered

Addon or Parked domains?

(12-24-2011 12:45 PM)Geek Cohen Wrote:  You would add it as an add-on domain. Ensure that the domain is pointing to the Host 4 Post Hosting Server (Pixie) and then via cPanel go into the Add-on Domain option and follow the process.

If I get the chance to buy myself a domain,
and I would like to prefer it as my Main Domain
and not parked,
then how could I do that?
12-24-2011 01:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SlyCooperFan1 Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Addon or Parked domains?

Wait a minute...

Okay, so I figured out the problem. I was adding it to Add-on Domain, then Parked Domain, back and forth to see what was going on, then I read your comment so I experimented with Add-on Domain.

The thing is, I've been trying to use Add-on Domain, but then website.co.cc (same example in first post) would go to website.co.cc/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi. That was the issue, so I thought it wasn't through Add-on Domain.

But after more testing today, I found the issue. Accessing website.co.cc goes to that defaultwebpage.cgi, but accessing website.co.cc WITH www. in the front goes to the directory I intended. Now, how do I set it up so that I don't have to put www? I don't think anyone does anymore. xD

EDIT: Oh... this was in the wrong category. ^^ If you wanna move it to Domains, that'd probably be good.. sorry. xD
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2011 01:55 PM by SlyCooperFan1.)
12-24-2011 01:54 PM
Geek Cohen Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Addon or Parked domains?

(12-24-2011 01:26 PM)GameStory Wrote:  
(12-24-2011 12:45 PM)Geek Cohen Wrote:  You would add it as an add-on domain. Ensure that the domain is pointing to the Host 4 Post Hosting Server (Pixie) and then via cPanel go into the Add-on Domain option and follow the process.

If I get the chance to buy myself a domain,
and I would like to prefer it as my Main Domain
and not parked,
then how could I do that?

You would create a support ticket and the support team would change your cPanel account main domain for you.

(12-24-2011 01:54 PM)SlyCooperFan1 Wrote:  Wait a minute...

Okay, so I figured out the problem. I was adding it to Add-on Domain, then Parked Domain, back and forth to see what was going on, then I read your comment so I experimented with Add-on Domain.

The thing is, I've been trying to use Add-on Domain, but then website.co.cc (same example in first post) would go to website.co.cc/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi. That was the issue, so I thought it wasn't through Add-on Domain.

But after more testing today, I found the issue. Accessing website.co.cc goes to that defaultwebpage.cgi, but accessing website.co.cc WITH www. in the front goes to the directory I intended. Now, how do I set it up so that I don't have to put www? I don't think anyone does anymore. xD

EDIT: Oh... this was in the wrong category. ^^ If you wanna move it to Domains, that'd probably be good.. sorry. xD

The only reason that it is redirecting to that page is because it is the default page setup. To have it removed, delete the cgi-sys folder in the directory. Once you have done that, clear your cache and then you will be able to see it without any issues.

Either that, or you can redirect people that go to the www to the address without it which can be done via cPanel or using htaccess.
12-24-2011 03:33 PM
Geek Cohen Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Addon or Parked domains?

[info]Thread Moved[/info]
12-24-2011 03:33 PM
SlyCooperFan1 Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Addon or Parked domains?

(12-24-2011 03:33 PM)Geek Cohen Wrote:  The only reason that it is redirecting to that page is because it is the default page setup. To have it removed, delete the cgi-sys folder in the directory. Once you have done that, clear your cache and then you will be able to see it without any issues.

Either that, or you can redirect people that go to the www to the address without it which can be done via cPanel or using htaccess.

Hmm... it started working yesterday out of the blue. ._. I don't recall doing anything to the files. Ah well, at least it's working now.

And for the record, I tried using redirects, but cPanel wouldn't allow it because it'd cause a redirect loop.
12-26-2011 04:14 PM
Geek Cohen Offline
Retired Staff

Retired Staff Member
Addon or Parked domains?

It probably started working when the cache was clear automatically.

As for the redirect, I can understand that. I think there is a .htaccess mode the changes it..... try googling to find that out.
12-26-2011 04:17 PM